Balsamic Beet Salad
by Jamie Kelm, INHC
Beets have a tremendous array of health benefits and are loaded with powerful anti-inflammatory compounds. They are also beneficial for supporting healthy liver function and detoxification. This beet salad recipe is a delicious and healthy addition to any meal. You can tailor it to your taste by making extra dressing or changing the toppings. This recipe serves 4 people, or more depending on the size of your beets.
You Will Need:
- 3-4 beets, stem off (any color will do)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Coconut oil
- Lettuce or spring mix
- Goat Cheese (optional)
1. To cook the beets, prepare a steamer with about an inch of water. *
2. Cut the beets into bite sized pieces, leaving the skin on.
3. Add the chopped beets to the steamer and cook for about 15 minutes, until tender.
4. Allow the beets to rest until they are cool enough to handle but still warm.
5. While the beets are resting, heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the chopped nuts with 1 TSP honey. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring well, until the nuts clump together.
6. Once the beets have cooled a bit, peel off the skin by rubbing them with a paper towel.
7. In a mixing bowl, combine the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Whisk until well mixed. If you want a tangier taste, add more balsamic vinegar.
8. Add the chopped beets to the mixing bowl and stir until coated.
9. In a serving dish, place a layer of spring mix, lettuce, or any other greens of your choice. Lay the beets on the greens and top with chopped parsley, candied nuts, and goat cheese (optional). Drizzle extra balsamic vinegar on top if desired.
Delicious when eaten warm but can also be served chilled.
*For a different method of cooking the beets and to see a more in depth explanation of how to prepare this recipe, along with pictures, check out the blog post: https://jamiekelmblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/27/balsamic-beet-salad/.